Staff Stenographer syllabus is released by the Staff Selection Commission along with the SSC Stenographer exam notification on its official website. The SSC Stenographer Syllabus is based on the SSC Stenographer exam pattern. Before the candidates appear for the SSC Stenographer exam, they should have a clear idea about the SSC Stenographer syllabus on the important topics of grade C and D, so that the aspirants can start their preparation accordingly.
- There are three sections in the SSC Stenographer question paper. Candidates have to answer questions from all the three sections: general awareness, reasoning and English language
- The exam has two phases: Written Test and Skill Test. Candidates who perform well in written test are called for SSC Stenographer Skill Test
- Selected candidates are recruited for Stenographer Grade “C” and “D” posts.
- The question paper consists of 200 questions for 200 marks to be done in 2 hours.
- 50 questions are asked from general intelligence and reasoning.Check SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern
- 50 questions are asked from general awareness.
- 100 questions are asked from English language and comprehension.
- There is negative marking in SSC Stenographer examination. 0.25 marks will be deducted for every wrong answer.
Candidates can check various details regarding SSC Stenographer 2022 Notification, Exam Dates, Eligibility, etc.
SSC Stenographer Syllabus 2022
Syllabus for SSC Stenographer exam 2022 consists of various topics from General Intelligence & Reasoning, General Awareness and English language & Comprehension. Candidates interested in appearing the examination must know all the topics that are included under each subject. If you study all the topics mentioned under each subject, you will surely be able to score high marks in the examination. The subject-wise syllabus is listed below:
SSC Stenographer Syllabus for General Intelligence & Reasoning
The first subject of SSC Stenographer examination is general intelligence & reasoning. 50 questions are asked about this subject. Both verbal and non-verbal types of questions are asked from general intelligence & reasoning. The objective of this section is to test the ability of candidates to deal with symbols, abstract ideas, arithmetical computation, and other various analytical functions.
The topics that are included by SSC under General Intelligence & Reasoning are as follows:
- Blood Relations
- Cubes and Dice
- Decision making
- Embedded figures
- Alphabet series
- Number series
- Non-verbal series
- Number ranking
- Clocks and calendars
- Mirror images
- Arithmetic reasoning
These are the topics that candidates must be well acquainted with, in order to score high marks in general intelligence & reasoning. Regular practice will help candidates answer questions accurately from this section. Solving mock tests and previous year question papers will improve the performance of candidates. There are some books that are recommended for candidates so that they can score high marks in general intelligence & reasoning. They are listed below:
- Verbal & Non-verbal Reasoning by RS Aggarwal
- Analytical Reasoning by MK Pandey
- Verbal & Non-verbal Reasoning by Kiran Publication
- Non-verbal Reasoning by BS Sijwali and Indu Sijwali
Candidates must collect these recommended books to prepare for general intelligence & reasoning.
SSC Stenographer Syllabus for General Awareness
The next subject of the SSC Stenographer exam is general awareness. 50 questions are asked from this subject. The objective of this section is to test the general awareness of candidates about the environment around them. Questions from this section are designed to test the knowledge of candidates about current events.
The topics included by SSC under General Awareness are as follows:
- India and its neighboring countries
- Current events- National and International
- Geography of India
- Culture and Heritage of India
- History of India
- Indian Constitution
- Social events related to India
- General Politics
- Science and Technology
- Economic scenario of India
These are the topics that candidates need to study for scoring good marks in the general awareness section. The books and study materials that are recommended for candidates so that they score high marks in general awareness are listed below:
- Lucent General Knowledge
- Monthly magazines such as Wizard, Chronicle or Pratiyogita Darpan
- Newspapers such as Times of India, Hindustan Times, Hindu, etc.
- Manorama Year Book or any other budget special magazine
Candidates can score well in general awareness if they study the recommended newspapers, magazines and books.
SSC Stenographer Syllabus for English Language & Comprehension
The next subject of SSC Stenographer examination is English Language & Comprehension. 100 questions are asked from this subject. The objective of this section is to test the understanding of candidates of the English language that includes grammar, vocabulary, sentence structure, antonyms, synonyms, writing ability and correct usage of the language.
The topics that are included by SSC under English Language & Comprehension are as follows:
- Comprehension Passage
- Synonyms & Antonyms
- Active & Passive Voice
- Direct & Indirect Speech
- Fill in the blanks
- Parts of speech
- Detection of miss-spelt words
These are the topics that candidates must study and practice for scoring well in English language & comprehension. The books that are recommended for candidates so that they can score well in English Language & Comprehension are listed below:
- English Grammar by Wren & Martin
- Essential English Grammar by Raymond Murphy
- Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis
- Objective General English by Dr. RS Aggarwal & Shri Vikas Aggarwal
- Objective General English by SP Bakshi
These books will help candidates prepare well for English language & comprehension. Candidates can score well in SSC Stenographer examination with the right amount of preparation. Candidates should solve mock tests and previous year question papers, along with studying the recommended books. They should make a time-table and devote time to all the three subjects. Regular practice will help candidates perform better on the day of the examination.
SSC Stenographer Syllabus for Skill Test: Tier II
Only the qualified candidates of SSC Stenographer CBT test will be capable to appear for the Shorthand Skill Test. The aspirants will be provided a passage of 800 words and 1000 words for Grade D and Grade C respectively. Go through the following content to know more about the important topics of SSC Stenographer Skill Test:
- The speech was given in the Parliament
- Budget Speech
- Employment/Unemployment in India
- Topics on Science and Technology
- Topics are given in the Editorial Columns of Newspapers
- President’s Speech
- Railway Speech
- Topics of National interest
- Topics on Natural Calamities
SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern 2022
The question paper of SSC Stenographer exam 2022 will be 200 marks. The exam pattern can be understood from the following table:
|Mode of examination
|Online (Computer-based test)
|Type of questions
|Multiple-choice Objective type questions
|Number of sections
|Number of Questions
|Yes. 0.25 marks is deducted for every wrong answer
The total 200 marks of the question paper are divided between General Intelligence & Reasoning, General Awareness and English Language & Comprehension. 1 mark will be awarded to candidates for every right answer. The division of subject-wise marks can be understood from the following table:
|General Intelligence & Reasoning
|English Language & Comprehension
Candidates qualifying for the written test will be called for SSC Stenographer Skill Test for final selection. In the skill test, a ten minutes dictation will have to be typed on the computer with a speed of 100 words per minute for Grade C candidates and 80 words per minute for Grade D candidates. SSC Stenographer final result will be released after this test result only.